The Régiment de Maisonneuve was founded in 1880 in La Prairie, Quebec, as the 85th Infantry Battalion. In 1920, it was renamed the Régiment de Maisonneuve after the founder of Montreal, Paul Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve. Over the years, the regiment formed a special relationship with the City of Montreal, and during the Freedom of the City ceremony, the regiment was awarded the official title of "Regiment affiliated with the City of Montreal."
The regiment received battle honours in the First World War, during which it provided large numbers of volunteers for the Royal 22e Régiment. In 1939, the Régiment de Maisonneuve had the honour of being the first regiment in Canada to form its battalion for active service overseas. Thousands of men served as part of its ranks and earned the highest honours on the battlefields of Europe.
Today, the regiment is still making a name for itself in the Canadian Militia as part of 34 Canadian Brigade Group, Land Force Quebec Area. It is affiliated with the Light Infantry regiment in England and with HMCS Montréal, a Canadian Navy frigate. The Régiment de Maisonneuve is currently commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Louis Harnois, CD.
The regimental family encompasses all active and former members of all ranks and from all eras. It is and always will be proud of its past, its traditions and its prestigious position in the Canadian Forces.